Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stylish Sunday: Work Attire

Hi friends!

I apologize for the lack of posts this week...I started my new job this past Monday so it's been a pretty crazy week--my new hours are (generally) 8-5 and then if we have late events, I have to stay late until the clients are gone and catering is cleaned up.  I had to come in early one day this week to meet a caterer so it was in general a crazy week to be a first week of work.  To be fair, I'd rather just jump right in and get involved rather than sit at my desk and "learn" so with that, so far so good!

Anyway, the point of this Stylish Sunday piece of my blog is to address the fact that I am having to adjust my work outfits because when I worked in Clemson, I wore khakis and cardigans and jeans a good bit!  Working at the Foundation office, everyone dresses up--as in guys in ties and girls in dresses and heels.  Well, if you know anything about working in events, you know heels are not a great thing to wear to run around and check on events.  So basically I've been wearing my flats with dresses/blazers/cardigans, etc.  I wanted to post some pictures of outfits that I have been wearing for work so I can maybe help some of those other newly employed women out there that are having some issues, like I was.  I did have to buy a few new pieces of clothing so I'll list where I got them and approx. how much they were.  (Side note: Today's post will be strictly about my interview outfits.)

Ok, so this outfit is what I wore on my first interview for my job.  I had recently bought this navy blazer at Gap ($88.00--one of the cheaper versions of the blazer so I finally gave in and bought this before we moved from Clemson.)  I knew that I wanted to wear it because it fits really well and looks super professional.  I went to Express here in Gainesville at the mall and wanted to get a pencil skirt so I ended up finding this brown-shade.  I knew I had a pair of brown crocodile pumps that I would wear.  I tend to like color (this is the understatement of the century!) so I told Kevin I wanted to get some kind of undershirt that had some color so I wasn't so blah.  I found this mint green button-up that happened to be on sale buy 1, get 1 for a lower price so I bought a cream colored one too.  

The top was $49.90 and I got the second one for $29.90.  The skirt was $59.90.  BUT I had a coupon that if you spent $150, you got $50 off so I ended up spending just over $100 for 2 new blouses, a new skirt, and a camisole to wear underneath.

Ta-Da!  This is the finished product.  I thought it looked very professional but also let me show my personality as well.  I left my sleeves rolled up on the blazer too.  

They called and asked me to come in for another meeting with my potential boss so I opted for an Old Navy dress that I LOVE--I mean, it's green, what's NOT to love!  It has cap sleeves so could be worn by itself as well.  I chose a simple black blazer but went a little more casual and wore my new black, peep-toe wedges from DSW.  I've had the dress for a while, but I think it was probably around $30 and I couldn't even begin to tell you how long ago I got that black blazer--it's from Belk.  I just bought the new shoes and I think they were around $30 on sale plus an additional percent off. 

Something I am learning is investing in blazers is never a bad thing!
1. You can wear them multiple times in a week and nobody is going to say anything to you
2. They can be worn with SO many different outfits--seriously, most versatile piece of clothing.
3. Hardly ever have to launder them--cardigans are a completely different story!
4.  Always look professional when sporting a blazer...you seriously can't go wrong!

Alright, I think that's all I've got for today's post.  I promise to TRY and do better this week and post another couple of recipes/cooking adventures as well as devote an entire post (or maybe two!) to our move from Clemson.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment