Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tasty Thursday: CrockPot Pulled Pork

Hello friends!  This is my first Tasty Thursday post and I hope it won't disappoint.  When we lived in Clemson (which, if you haven't ever heard of or visited, you need to do this ASAP as Clemson is one of the greatest places in the world!), we frequented a barbecue restaurant called The Smokin' Pig almost weekly.  It's one of the places we would lunch at when we were still in the flirting stage of our relationship and so it's a place we remember fondly.  We haven't found a great BBQ place yet here in Gainesville so a couple of weeks ago on Thursday (because Smokin' Pig was only open Thursday-Saturday), I decided to recreate one of our favorite meals.  I went to the store and bought a Boston Butt that was the smallest they had (I'm only cooking for 2!) so if I remember correctly it was about 2.5 pounds.  The recipe I decided to use for the first one was found at this site!  It was super simple, not a lot to do but put it in the CrockPot and turn it on.  So that's what I did (except I put some BBQ sauce on top of it.)  I set the timer for 6 hours on high.


This is what it looked like when I first put it in.

About halfway through...


After shredding the meat.

Bon appetit!

I decided to make Velveeta mac'n cheese, corn on the cob, and Sister Schubert yeast rolls, as this is very close to what we normally would get at The Smokin' Pig.  We sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning on the corn and sipped on some sweet tea and it was pretty darn delicious if I do say so myself!  Now, there is always room for improvement....

Notes for next time:
-Brown the meat in a skillet before putting in the CrockPot--it helps drain some of the fat off first.
-Season the meat a little more, maybe overnight?  
-Drain the excess juices off before shredding--this cuts down on fat as well.
-Invest in some nicer BBQ sauces rather than the cheapest Kraft one--definitely has the fake smoky flavor in it--maybe experiment with making your own sauce if you feel so inclined!



No comments:

Post a Comment